Sunday 18 January 2015

Curry Night

Back at my mum’s for a visit this weekend, I decided to take over the kitchen for a bit. I can’t wait to have a kitchen of my own again soon, so I wanted to get some practise in!

I love curry, when made from scratch it’s so warming, filling and healthy. Here in the UK though, take aways make it seem so much less good for you, especially when you add in all the ‘extras’. It definitely doesn’t have to be a guilty pleasure however, as I found making this amazing spinach, chickpea and sweet potato curry. So many veggies and spice - yum! The base of garlic, ginger and onion is a health kick in itself!



I took inspiration from a few different vegetarian curries in some of my mum’s cooking magazines and then just played around with it to make it my own. It felt so good to get back in the kitchen!

I had some wholegrain basmati rice with quinoa - a lovely gluten free mix which filled me up nicely and felt so much nicer than a lot of plain rice I would tend to go for.


Recipe below - it’s so simple!



Recipe (serves 4!):

  • One onion
  • Two garlic cloves
  • One teaspoon of grated ginger
Blitz these together in a blender for a good base - I did also add a little pre made tikka curry paste for ease. Pop this in the saucepan to cook with some coconut oil.

  • 400g chopped tomatoes
  • 250g chickpeas
  • 2 sweet potatoes
  • 300g spinach

Add the tomatoes, chickpeas and (cooked) sweet potato and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the spinach a few minutes before the end so it’s just wilted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo blanklogofull.png